Monday, November 28, 2011

The Thanksgiving that was

It started bright and early at 5:30am with Dylan at my bedside ready to start the day. I intended to walk him downstairs, get him breakfast and then go back to bed until a reasonable hour, but Dave was up just before 6am to get ready for the Turkey Trot so I figured I should stay up and start getting ready for the day. Dylan and I had planned on leaving our house by 7:30am to watch Dave run the second half of the race and finish anyway.  So I made the apple cream cheese danish, which turned out awesome and got Dylan and I ready to go to the race. Boy, was it cold outside! Luckily we were able to park close to a prime viewing location to see Dave, talk to Andrew and then head back to the Jeep to warm up for 15 minutes before heading over to the finish.

DSC_0040
Apple Cream Cheese Danish
 Then my Jeep wouldn't start...so Dylan and I headed back over to the finish area and found Dave and Andrew so they could hopefully get my Jeep started. After popping the hood and cleaning off the corrosion on the battery with a little water it started right up! (Only to die again multiple times over the weekend, Dave finally cut the wires and re-attached them to the connectors (I am not a mechanic, I don't know what they are really called) and now we are good to go!). Luckily that little hiccup didn't delay the start of my Thanksgiving food prep!

DSC_0052

I started with putting the turkey in the oven at 10:30am (just as my Dad and Step mom arrived)

DSC_0046

and made the scalloped corn casserole, stuffing, and green bean casserole starting about 11am.

DSC_0060
Then it was on to peeling 5 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes and boiling them for the mashed potatoes (best ones yet!) before I knew it the turkey, stuffing and green bean casserole were done and I was putting the crescent rolls in the oven and making the gravy. 
As much as I prepare and prep it always seems a little chaotic when everything is coming out of the oven and finishing at once!
DSC_0062
Carving the turkey
DSC_0072
Way too much food for 4 people to eat!

DSC_0073
Dave's plate
DSC_0077
Pepper was disappointed there was no turkey for her
DSC_0078
Dad and Dave relaxing after filling their bellies.
DSC_0079
Seriously, no turkey for me?
DSC_0085
The awesome Pumpkin Gingersnap Cheesecake. Make this now!
DSC_0086
The fancy shot, photo credit to Dave ;)
DSC_0088
Even Dylan liked the Pumpkin Cheesecake
DSC_0100
Playing soccer with Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment