Saturday, June 12, 2010

A baby that doesn't want to go to bed

Dylan was not a good sleeper from the moment he entered this world. He would be up every two hours to eat and didn't really even nap during the day until he was 2 months or so. That made for a very tired Mama. I can honestly say I never thought I would sleep through the night again after he was born. But then, mysteriously, he started sleeping longer and longer at night. I remember the first night Dylan slept for 5 hours straight, I didn't know what to do with myself, I felt like a new person after all that sleep.

Fast-forward to 3 months and he started sleeping for 8 hour stretches and sometimes longer. I finally had a baby who slept. Then there was the short time when he was 6 months old and got up at 5am for 2 weeks, but really since then or shortly after he's been a great sleeper at night. Dylan goes to bed between 7:30pm-8pm and sleeps until 7am or so. There is the occasional waking up a night, but overall he sleeps really good. He also naps anywhere from 1-2 hours during the day. However, the past week he has screamed whenever he has been put to bed and continues to cry for 15-20 minutes and will finally go to bed after that. The first night he was up crying he was up for an hour and thirty minutes before he finally went to bed ( and yes we checked on him, got him out of bed, rocked him, etc). Finally we gave up and brought him to bed with us and he finally fell asleep (BTW, that was the first time he had ever slept with us, I don't know how you co-sleepers do it).

So, anyone have any idea what is keeping him up? Separation anxiety? Any ideas on what we can do to make bedtime go a little smoother?

No comments:

Post a Comment